Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'barry33'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home2/barry33/public_html/wp-content/plugins/gplusactivator/gplusactivator.core.php on line 422
Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in /home2/barry33/public_html/wp-content/plugins/gplusactivator/gplusactivator.core.php on line 422
Warning: mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home2/barry33/public_html/wp-content/plugins/gplusactivator/gplusactivator.core.php on line 423
Apples As A Superfood
Apples have been known as a superfood since the time of the ancient Greeks and Romans. Hippocrates, the famous Greek physician, was a true believer in apples as a superfood. He prescibed sweet apples to his patients after their meals to aid in the digestion of rich foods and sour apples to help relieve their constipation.
Why Apples Are Considered A Superfood
This superfood packs a ton of nutrition and its health benefits are far reaching. An apple contains only 95 calories and is one of the most versatile of all the fruits. They contain flavonoids and polyphenols, which are potent antioxidants as well as vitamin C. Yes, you heard right! Oranges are not the only superfood that contain vitamin C. But the allure of apples goes much deeper. In fact, when you eat the skin of the apple, you are getting 6 times more antioxidant fighting ing power than the apple flesh so make sure you are eating the peel also!
Apples versatility is legendary. Each variety has its own list of benefits but due to slightly different chemical makeup in its skin, different apples have different levels of phytonutrient content that include catechins (a form of flavonoids) which are 25-100X more powerful than vitamins A, C, E and beta-carotene at fighting off the effects of free radicals in the body
The Health Benefits Of Apples As A Superfood
Apples are great for the heart. They contain potassium which lowers your risk for heart disease and cancer and are a fat free snack which makes them great for losing weight! Other benefits include being loaded both soluble fiber which helps lower cholesterol and regulate how much sugar your body uses and insoluble fiber which will do wonders for your digestive system.
Many people take the apple for granted but the old adage, “An apple a day keeps the doctors away”, has its roots in the Middle Ages. Since then, apples has been given their rightful place among the best of the superfoods. Even The Journal Of Agriculture and Food Chemistry agrees. They list it as one of the 50 best foods for antioxidant power!
The Healing Power Of Apples As A Superfood
Another reason why apples are considered a superfood comes down to its healing qualities. These same phytonutrients we have eluded to earlier are also responsible for helpingto prevent breast, liver and colon cancer by stopping the cancer cell growth before they can multiply and cause damage.
Here are a few more ways that apples can heal the body.
- Asthma – To improve lung function, the apple’s flavonoids (primarily phloridzin and quercertin) help decrease bronchial hypersensitivity thereby lowering the risk of asthma. In fact, pregnant mothers who ate apples regularly seem to pass on the health benefits to their babies who were 40% less likely to wheeze and show symtoms of asthma.
- Bleeding – For many hemophiliacs, excessive bleeding is the norm but researchers have found that apple pectin has the ability help the blood thicken so that bleeding is controlled.
- Anemia – Apples have a high iron content as well as phosphorus which gives it the power to treat anemia.
- Dental Hygiene – Eating apples has been shown to help prevent tooth decay by encouraging saliva flow rich in acids as well as being an antiseptic. When apples are thoroughly chewed, they can prevent both bad breath and pyorrhea.
- Gout – Which is caused by high uric acid, can be neutralized by the malic acid found in apples. For gout sufferers, this is a powerful superfood.
- Chronic Headache Pain – Apples have the unique ability to control all types of headaches. Mixed with honey, apple cider makes a great natural way to end headache pain.
- Cholera – help to stop the toxic effects that cholera can cause to the body.
America is the apple growing capital of the world and produces an incredible variety of apples to eat and bake with. Make it a habit to eat this superfood everyday and reap all the benefits apples have to offer.