Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home2/barry33/public_html/wp-content/plugins/gplusactivator/gplusactivator.core.php on line 422
Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in /home2/barry33/public_html/wp-content/plugins/gplusactivator/gplusactivator.core.php on line 422
Warning: mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home2/barry33/public_html/wp-content/plugins/gplusactivator/gplusactivator.core.php on line 423
Is there really such a thing as healthy fast food? Fast food in itself is a misnomer. No food is truly fast unless it is not prepared or cooked. Here in lies the quandary. Finding places that serve healthy fast food are few and far between. We all know that eating too much fast food can ruin your health, make you gain unwanted pounds, and raise your blood pressure and cholesterol levels but did you know that eating just one meal at any fast food chain can give you almost an entire day’s worth of calories, sodium, and fat. Making healthy food choices is key to eating fast food and surviving.
Where To Find Healthy Fast Food?
So where do we find these healthy eating places? What choices do we have? Unless you want to spend big bucks and go to the trendy upscale restaurants that serve only organic foods, your choices are limited. But that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. It just means you have to learn the basic skills needed to make healthy food choices. Healthy eating habits depend on eating the right foods that offer optimum nutritional value while avoiding junk food.
How To Make Healthy Food Choices
When we are on the go, fast food seems to be our only option. But is it our only option? I must admit, it does takes some willpower to avoid the greasy hamburger joints, pizza places, and fried chicken establishments that litter the landscape. But our main focus should be on changing our eating habits and ordering healthier food items from the menu. One of the best ways to do this is by searching online for guides that provide health and nutrition information for your favorite restaurant.
Here are the best online guides:
HealthyDiningFinder.com – a great resource for finding restaurants that offer healthier menus. Includes the nutrition data for your selected menu item.
FastFoodBook.com – helps you find the nutritional content of the major fast food chain restaurants and shows you how to make healthier choices.
Five tips for making smart fast food choices at restaurants:
- Pay attention to menu descriptions. Avoid dishes labeled as creamy, deep-fried, batter-dipped, crispy, breaded, or Alfredo. These items are very high in fat, calories, and sodium.
- Look for leaner cuts of meat and have them grilled instead of fried.
- Avoid super-sizing your meal. Order a salad instead of fries. Just order the basics as most restaurant dishes provide enough food for two people.
- Be aware of what you are eating. If you eat slower and chew your food thoroughly, you can enjoy what you are eating. Since it takes time for our bodies to feel full, eating slower helps you digest your food better and makes your meal more satisfying.
- Don’t fill up on soda with your meal. They are empty calories. Instead, save as little money and order a water with lemon. It is healthier for you and will not fill you up.
It may seem like a challenge to eat healthier at fast food restaurants but if you are mindful of what you eat and make use of online nutrition guides you can make better healthy food choices when you go out to eat.